With the Holiday Season fast approaching, it is easy to get caught up in the frenzy of getting everything done; Being so busy, that you haven’t even thought about how you are feeling.
Some people really enjoy the holidays, while others find that the season isn’t so “Merry” and they are just trying to Make it thru December. It is important to be kind to yourself, allow yourself to feel your emotions, and most of all, not to judge them.
Self-care is essential at this busy time of year.
You may need a few strategies as you navigate this special, but sometimes stressful holiday season. A few things to try are:
- lighten or create some flexibility in your schedule to allow for some down or alone time, so you can relax, unwind & breathe…
- Only do things that are meaningful to you
- Saying No when you need to
- find yourself a support system, someone you can talk to, like a friend, a family member or maybe a qualified counselor or therapist
- find small ways to make yourself feel nurtured, take a nap, light a candle, put on some music (Or not)
- maybe diffuse some essential oils.
Essential Oils have many different properties. Some are uplifting while other essential oils are more calming. Try diffusing some of the following essential oils if you are feeling:
Anger: try Clary Sage, Cedarwood, Lemon, Lavender, Patchouli, Rosemary or Spruce.
Anxiety: try Cedarwood, Frankincense, Fir, Geranium, Lemon, Mandarin, Neroli, Pine or Sweet Basil.
Depression: try Bergamot, Clary Sage, Clove Bud, Frankincense, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry or Lavender.
Grief: try Bergamot, Cypress, Frankincense, Hyssop, Lemon, Neroli, Rose or Tangerine.
Irritability: try Clary Sage, Chamomile (Roman), Frankincense, Lemongrass or Sweet Orange.
Sadness: try Bergamot, Cypress, Geranium, Jasmine, Sweet Marjoram, or Rose.
This year I am taking my own advice, and I am adjusting my schedule to make time for some things that I “WANT” to do. I am:
- making time for friends (There is always time for tea or lunch).
- limiting extra shifts at work, (Sounds simple, right? Not if you are a recovering people pleaser).
- Getting some extra rest.
- Taking some time off from Aromatherapy. (My nose needs a break)
And I’ll be snuggling with my cat, Gambitt, on the couch, drinking Chai Tea and watching some of my favorite Christmas shows, like “Elf” or “The 12 days of Krampas” from Season 3 of Grimm or maybe “Pageantry” from Season 1 of Picket Fences.
But mostly, I will continue to try to find the balance & keep making the small changes as I move forward. It is the small changes that we make, that can make the most difference in how we are feeling…
Wishing you many moments of Self-Care & an Aromatic Holiday Season…
My Blog is for information only & is not meant to diagnose or replace medical advice. Essential oils should not be ingested & always need to be diluted before topical use.
- If you are wanting to diffuse Hyssop, try the Decumbens Variety
- If you think that you may be suffering from depression or anxiety, please consider seeing a medical professional.
- Battaglia Salvatore. The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy. 2nd edition, The International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy, Australia, 2003
Blue Christmas tree: canstockphoto.com/marish